Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolution Accomplished

For the first time ever I managed to keep one of my resolutions for the entire year of 2011! That's right I am among the elite as most people were unable to accomplish such a feat. I'm one of those kind of readers that get comfortable with an author. Once I become comfy I read every book of theirs I can find. When I've finished that I begin rereading until I can't do it anymore.

One night last December I sat down my copy of LuAnne Rice's Summer Light-a book I have read a number of times-and made a decision that 2011 would be the year for me to try something new. In the process I decided I would only read books by authors I had never read before or books from completely different genres.

It seemed like a simple enough task at the time, but wow did I not know what I had gotten myself into! I stood in Barnes and Noble trying to pick one and only one to begin my mission. A line from the movie Ever After sounded inside my head, "I could no sooner choose a favorite star in heaven." Finally I selected one and to tell on myself a little I only selected it because my favorite writer wrote such good reviews about the book. 

Once my little challenge was started I couldn't stop and was making every other day trips to the book store.  What did this resolution do for me?  It allowed me and my writing style to be influenced by some pretty amazing things.  I expect that in 2012 my process will only continue to grow leaps and bounds.  What it meant for this blog is that I will be pimping several of these books to you; at least one a month. 

What resolutions have set in 2012 you may ask?  Well I'm going to continue last year's resolution and maybe even spend some time querying some of my own work.  We'll see if I actually hold up my end of the bargain on that last part.

Happy New Year!

Veronica

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome you stuck to your resolution. I can't wait to hear what books you've read. I'm afraid I'm among the masses. I didn't stick to any of my resolutions. Maybe 2012 will be the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a reading New Year's resolution is a good one! The more we read, the better we write. Have a great reading and writing year.

    ReplyDelete